Saturday, April 9, 2011

Just Another Reason to Eat Raw Foods

Just Another Reason to Eat Raw Foods

by Yuri Elkaim, BPHE, CK, RHN
Author, Eating for Energy

Although I'm not a 100% hardcore raw foodist, I'm a big proponent of eating raw foods. The health and energy benefits I've experience since adopting more of a raw food diet are literally too numerous to mention in this article. But for me, one of the biggies is having so much more energy - it's actually pretty frightening!
Having more energy means that I (and you) can live life to the max. Instead of needing to take afternoon naps like I used to several years ago, I now have enough energy to easily function on just 4-6 hours of sleep per night.
However, I need to be honest and tell you that from time to time I do have the occasional slip and fall back into eating "dead" cooked foods. Perhaps I've gone out for dinner or somebody's had a party where fresh foods are just not an option. In those cases, I don't go crazy and make my own raw food to bring. Instead, I suck it up and simply enjoy the foods for what they are.
After all, stressing out over what you're eating may in fact be more detrimental than the food itself.

A Recent Dinner Party

Just the other week, we hosted a dinner party with a bunch of friends. It was actually a double whammy in that we wanted everyone to meet our new puppy Laila, while, at the same time, getting everyone together for a fun night. Our only stipulation was that it was to be a pot luck dinner because preparing food for 12-14 people is just not a lot of fun for me. Plus, it takes way too long.
So anyways, everyone brought their dishes and as you can imagine, none of it was raw. Oh well, we'll just enjoy and see how it goes.
There was pasta salad, barley salad, pita and hummus, sushi, and some treats for dessert.
Now bear in mind that these are foods that I would have readily eaten back in the day when I never even knew what vegetables or raw foods were all about. As a child, I literally grew up on wheat, dairy, and meat. No fruits and no veggies. And certainly no raw foods!
So the night went well and everyone had a great time but unfortunately (for me) there were far too many leftovers. In fact, there was still a huge amount of pasta salad.

What Happened Next Was Just Ridiculous

The next day, I had a fairly active day with lots of walking and then a circuit training workout. Needless to say, I needed some energy. For whatever reason I thought that I would dive back into the pasta salad for its high source of carbs and see what would happen.
Big mistake!
After eating a bowl of the pasta and I went to do some reading on my bed and then, moments later, passed out. It was only 9pm! I normally go to bed around midnight.
Now, you'd think that I'd get up before sunrise considering how early I went to bed, right? But that didn't happen. I woke up at 8am. That's a full 11 hours of sleep!
Talk about a waste of time.

Why Did This Happen?

Wheat, from which pasta is made, is the most allergenic food on the planet. In fact, most people (myself included) have a sensitivity to wheat without even knowing it. In my case, eating wheat manifests with rapid heart, extreme fatigue, and worsening of my asthma.
So why would I even bother eating it? Good question.
Furthermore, pasta and wheat-based products are dead! They are not live foods. They have no enzymes and are basically cooked starches, which in most cases carry a high glycemic load.
The combination of wheat sensitivity with a dead food (pasta) void of essential food enzymes and carrying a high glycemic load was the cause of my 11 hour comatose!

How to Avoid This Mistake

Ending up in an 11-hour coma does not happen when you eat raw foods! It's as simple as that.
Why?
Well, first, raw foods don't encompass cooked grains like wheat. In fact, there is debate as to whether humans can even properly digest grains. The argument is that our bodies have not evolved to digest grains that came about only a few hundred years ago during the agricultural revolution.
Instead, raw foods provide you more energy than any grain ever could. Fresh fruits and vegetables are the ultimate source of the sun's energy, water, enzymes, alkalinity, and tons of nutrients that you simply can't get through a cooked food diet.
So if you won't to avoid the mistake that I made, and if you've made similar ones in the past, then you may want to consider adding more raw foods to your diet.


No comments:

Post a Comment